Acting Legal Director (November 2015-June 2016)
Position and Responsibilities: We are seeking an experienced litigator to manage our legal department and to be a public face for the racial justice goals we seek to make real. This is a temporary, full-time contract position from November 2015 through June 2016, while our permanent Legal Director is out on maternity leave
About the Successful Candidate:
• Membership in good standing in the California State Bar
• Minimum five to seven years relevant litigation and advocacy experience with a particular emphasis on racial justice and civil rights litigation in the state and federal courts
• Ability to join two on-going litigation teams dealing with disproportionate suspensions and expulsions of students of color
• Ability to help fashion injunctive relief in civil rights cases
• Excellent communication and writing skills in addressing various audiences
• Demonstrated legal research, writing, and oral advocacy experience
• Strong organizational skills
• Experience working with and supervising interns, law clerks, and pro bono attorneys
• Ability to take initiative and to work independently and as a part of a team
• Cultural competence and experience working with clients and attorneys of color
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental insurance, and sick time leave.
Applications: EJS embraces, affirms, and embodies diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply before November 2, 2015. Send your cover letter and resume along with a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.