Even as some states begin the process of reopening their economies, Native American tribes are dealing with disproportionate challenges during the pandemic. The Navajo Nation, in particular, has suffered greatly. Richardson described “enormous devastation” from the coronavirus, and said that the extraordinary difficulties stem from being overlooked by state and federal government, the lack of infrastructure, and demographic issues.
“Forty percent of all families in the Navajo Nation in four states, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona, don’t have running water at all,” Richardson said. “We neglect this community. As a nation we always have.” https://bit.ly/2LRghFX
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- Financial help for California’s undocumented immigrants starts May 18| CalMatters https://bit.ly/36jB1iQ
- On the Anniversary of Brown v. Board, Celebrating the Unsung Female Heroes of the Landmark School Desegregation Ruling | The 74 https://bit.ly/3bMvXEY
- One year in, Urban Triage making an impact as it empowers Black families in Madison | Madison365 https://bit.ly/2ysVJk4
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- Senator Mazie Hirono on Twitter: “A judge who likens the racist, years-long incarceration of 120k Japanese American men, women, and children behind barbed wire and under armed guard during WWII to a public safety measure during this pandemic is not only outrageous, but disgusting.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2LNKLZx
- Communist Shakespeare on Twitter: “The Navajo Nation is the size of IRELAND and only has 13 grocery stores.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2WRSUST
- The fate of Dreamers is under siege. They need us now, more than ever (Opinion) – CNN https://cnn.it/2WQ9Mt6
- Coronavirus has been devastating to the Navajo Nation, and help for complex fight has been slow – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/2WRT5xx
- Wajahat “Social Distance Yourself” Ali on Twitter: “People are giving Ivanka Trump a pass for tweeting about taking the “Red Pill” claiming she doesn’t even know what it means. Maybe. Then again, why doesn’t she know she’s celebrating a meme that came from extremist white nationalist circles that hate women and Jews?” / Twitter https://bit.ly/36kw2P3
- Men in CA continue to be held alone in cells 23 hours a day https://bit.ly/2LQuMcU
- chris evans on Twitter: “I am disgusted. [photo] https://bit.ly/2zXHS5G
- ‘The View’ Host Meghan McCain Blames Obama for ‘Ushering in’ Trump https://bit.ly/36j9rlQ
- The Ahmaud Arbery Killing and “Running While Black.” Our Readers Respond – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/2LOp7En
- Murray, Pallone Blast Trump Administration’s Paltry Report on COVID-19 Health Disparities https://bit.ly/36mSS8L
- Asian American doctors and nurses are fighting racism and the coronavirus – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/3cSsYMF
- Leslie Proll on Twitter: “Leave it to Alabama. During global pandemic, Alabama is increasing its prison population. This is a state where African Americans comprise over 50% of its prison population.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2WTmoQ8
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.