Prof. Jenn M. Jackson on Twitter: Please pay attention to what’s happening in Chicago right now. Young people are asking for accountability from political leadership and are being met with police violence and the punishment of the carceral state. Chicago is a case study in youth organizing meant to directly address the repeated lack of responsiveness from local leaders. Just listen to the young people. The media continues to try and portray Chicago youth and organizers as violent agitators and deserving of police brutality as if we don’t know that this is the same place where countless people have been tortured, disappeared, and unfairly targeted by CPD officers and operatives. Please support orgs on the ground in Chicago helping to free and protect protestors.
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- bettemidler on Twitter: “God bless this woman. In country music, where even Beyonce was dissed, and “Old Town Road” was a tough sell, she has more than done the right thing. She has soared above them all.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/34w1wD9
- Adam Schefter on Twitter: “Washington Football Team appointed Jason Wright as team president in a historic hire. Wright will be responsible for leading the organization’s business divisions, including operations, finance, sales, and marketing. Wright now becomes the first black president of an NFL team. https://bit.ly/34k1Xju
- Janai Nelson on Twitter: “BREAKING: We just won a preliminary injunction motion to allow our client to return to high school after he was constructively expelled because of his locs. #HairDiscrimination https://t.co/UZZShfEQHk” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2YlnfcL
- White Couple Who Allegedly Harassed Black Mom For Years Finally Arrested And Charged – Blavity News https://bit.ly/34kRSmG
- Air Force Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr. navigates expectations of being the first Black service branch chief – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/2YkeWxP
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- Dan Rather on Twitter: “I prefer the term racism to birtherism.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/34k1BJG
- Lawyers claim pattern of sexual abuse in El Paso immigrant detention center | The Texas Tribune https://bit.ly/2EaQXug
- Georgia State Patrol trooper charged with murder after shooting a Black man – CNN https://cnn.it/32aZ4Pl
- Phillip Atiba Goff on Twitter: “This is not an apology. This says “sorry if you feel that way.” The op-ed is still up. And they have done nothing to correct the record proactively. This is an acknowledgement that they are rightfully getting dragged. And it guarantees they will continue to be.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/3j1cDYE
- Chikesia Clemons Details Her Recovery Process Following a Brutal, Viral Arrest | Teen Vogue https://bit.ly/3l1wb0J
- Second City Is Trying Not to Be Racist. Will It Work This Time? – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/3j2MI2S
- jenn m. jackson on Twitter: “Please pay attention to what’s happening in Chicago right now. Young people are asking for accountability from political leadership and are being met with police violence and the punishment of the carceral state.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2Ymcw1L
- A Private Security Company Is Detaining Migrant Children at Hotels – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/3iYJL35
- CDC Study Finds Hispanics Hit Disproportionately Hard By Workplace Outbreaks : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR https://n.pr/2E2wXdp
- Police Hunt for Missouri Man For Calling Black Woman Racial Slurs Before Shooting Her https://bit.ly/32ciHGJ
- New video: Sheriff’s deputy the ‘undeniably initial aggressor’ in Toronto Raptors shoving match https://bit.ly/32fhoXC
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.