EJS President Eva Paterson will participate in a press conference with other leaders and attorneys to be held immediately prior to Thursday’s California Supreme Court oral arguments in the Prop 8 legal challenge. Attorneys will argue that by taking away a right only from one group, Proposition 8 violates the most basic principle of our government: that all people are entitled to equal treatment under the law.
Other press conference participants include:
- S.F. City Attorney Dennis Herrera, Santa Clara County Counsel Ann Ravel, and other public attorneys
- Kate Kendell, Executive Director, National Center for Lesbian Rights
- The Rev. Art Cribbs, United Church of Christ, amici
- Lisa Cisneros, California Rural Legal Assistance, amici
- Gloria Allred, attorney and partner, Allred, Maroko and Goldberg, representing plaintiffs Robin Tyler & Diane Olson
- Jennifer Pizer, Marriage Project Director, Lambda Legal
- Elizabeth Gill, Staff Attorney, ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender & AIDS Project
- Geoff Kors, Executive Director, Equality California
The press conference begins at 7:30 a.m. in the South Light Court of San Francisco City Hall. The press conference will conclude by 7:50 a.m. Oral arguments begin at 9:00 a.m. in the California Supreme Court, on the Fourth Floor of 350 McAllister Street in San Francisco. The court, in the Earl Warren State Office Building, is located directly across the
street from the Civic Center Plaza, diagonally across from City Hall. The California Channel will broadcast the hearing live. For details, visit http://www.calchannel.com/carriage.htm.
The cases are Strauss et al. v. Horton et al. (S168047); Tyler v. California et al (S168066; and CCSF v. Horton (S168078).