The Equal Justice Society is seeking a communications generalist with strong writing, event management and online social media skills for a short-term contract position compensated at $10,000 for a minimum of three months. (Share this on Facebook and Twitter.)
EJS is a national strategy group heightening consciousness on race in the law and popular discourse. Using a three-pronged strategy of law and public policy advocacy, cross-disciplinary convenings and strategic public communications, EJS seeks to restore race equity issues to the national consciousness, build effective progressive alliances, and advance the discourse on the positive role of government.
The Communications Associate contractor will be responsible primarily for:
- Assisting with a national communications convening in late June 2010;
- Conceiving and generating content for our website and social media channels;
- Developing HTML emails for our email subscribers; and
- Writing drafts of backgrounders, media releases, op-eds and other outreach materials.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Helping execute EJS’s communications message, strategy, and program, and recommending and driving communication priorities and action;
- Supporting our media relations, including conceiving and developing story concepts; drafting releases, articles and opinion pieces; expanding media contacts; supporting press events and spokespersons, and monitoring media coverage and effectiveness;
- Researching media coverage and issues related to race, media and popular culture, and issues related to EJS’s law and public policy initiatives; and
- Improving internal tools for communications management.
Qualities expected of all EJS staff and consultants include integrity, high professional standards, and commitment to progressive social change, to our mission, and to working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients and collaborators. Cooperation, candor, flexibility, resilience, optimism, curiosity and sense of humor are valued. The successful candidate will likely bring:
- Two or more years of relevant responsibility in communications, online media, community education and outreach, policy and/or media work;
- Excellent written and oral communication, including ability to master complex issues and convey information clearly for varied audiences;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, to work well in teams, and to handle deadlines and changing priorities;
- Event management experience, specifically with developing convenings or conferences focusing on strategic content, process assessment and coalition building;
- Intermediate or better knowledge and use of social media, including Facebook and Twitter;
- Knowledge of the legal and legislative sectors, education and economic justice issues, development and/or advocacy coalition work;
- Basic knowledge of HTML; and
- Experience editing and manipulating digital media.
To apply, email EJS Director of Communications Keith Kamisugi introducing yourself and how you fit the criteria for the contract position, along with links to your blog, LinkedIn profile and/or Twitter profile. Email to email@example.com by Friday, April 16, 2010. Please do not send resumes or other attachments, and no phone calls.
Download a PDF of this announcement at http://www.box.net/shared/b5djhsacb1.