During CCRC’s #StopKavanaugh community meeting earlier this month, our friends at Indivisible East Bay (IEB) gave a presentation on their impactful work to lobby Congress on numerous issues, from protecting the ACA to preventing the appointment of conservative judicial nominees to the federal bench. After their presentation, we were convinced that we wanted to remain engaged with IEB’s work and build alliances. We just attended their monthly Q & A community session with legislative staff, which was incredibly informative.
The lunchtime crowd gathered at the Oakland Library fired up and ready to ask great questions about various domestic and international policy issues. However, a considerable amount of time was spent on how to strategically organize around the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, particularly in light of the fact that nomination hearings are set to begin on September 4th even though the records from all of Kavanaugh’s time as a political operative in the White House have not been made publicly available.
Here are some of the highlights from the wonderful insider perspective provided by the legislative aides:
- The Kavanaugh nomination will dominate the Senate’s time from here on out.
- THERE IS A REAL CHANCE TO STOP KAVANAUGH! More people need to realize there IS a real chance to derail this nomination. We only need FOUR Republicans (if every Democrat votes ‘no’). Keep fighting and stay the course!
- Senate Democrats – including Feinstein and Harris – have filed Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to try to force the Trump administration to hand over documents from Brett Kavanaugh’s time working in the White House.
- SENATORS HARRIS AND FEINSTEIN WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! While California is fortunate to be represented by two women who have been very vocal in their opposition to Kavanaugh (and who both sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee), they still need to hear from you. Senator Feinstein in particular has relied on the fact that her constituents have called in frequently and in high volumes around other appointments, including Attorney General Sessions and Justice Gorsuch. It is very important to her to have her mention this on the record during the hearings. MORE folks need to write/call EVERY DAY. It is perfectly acceptable for an individual to contact their representatives multiple times – it adds to the overall tally.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (email)
Sen. Kamala Harris (email)
- IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, DON’T CALL IOWA: Senators in other states need to hear from their Although it is true that the vote of one Senator can impact all Americans, the only calls and emails that get attention and are taken seriously are the ones from the people a Senator represents (and who will vote for them). A better strategy is to reach out to friends and family who live in that state and ask them to call their Senators.
- Encourage people reaching out to Republican Senators to focus on TARIFFS and executive privilege. Kavanaugh is in favor of very broad executive privilege and would likely strike down the legislation Congress is trying to pass to limit tariff power of the President. Money/the economy is an issue conservatives care deeply about, and many represent farming communities who are being severely impacted by the recent tariffs – it is less likely you will sway them on civil rights issues.
Thank you to Indivisible East Bay for a great meeting. Be sure to reach out your Senators, friends, colleagues, and family to share this information
REMEMBER: Brett Kavanagh
- Is a threat to our civil and human rights.
- Would overturn Roe v. Wade and undermine the Affordable Care Act.
- Will protect the privileges of the wealthy and powerful.
- Opposes to common sense gun safety.
- Is hostile toward environmental protection.
- Supports an unprecedented level of power and immunity for the President.
Together, we will Stop Kavanaugh!