EJS Legal Director Position
Position and Responsibilities: We are seeking an experienced litigator to manage our legal department and to be a public face for the racial justice goals we seek to make real. The Legal Director is a vital member of the Management Team of EJS and as such works closely with the Communications Director, the Chief Operating Officer, and the President in helping chart the direction of EJS. Charles Hamilton Houston, the architect of the decades long legal strategy that led to Brown v Board of Education is our spiritual godfather. The Legal Director will be a leader in our efforts to transform the law.
About the Successful Candidate:
- Membership in good standing in the California State Bar
- Commitment to racial justice and intersectional civil rights advocacy
- Minimum five to seven years relevant litigation and advocacy experience, with a particular emphasis on racial justice and civil rights litigation in state or federal court
- Ability to join ongoing litigation teams dealing with disproportionate suspensions and expulsions of students of color
- Ability to write and oversee amicus briefs on various intersectional civil rights issues
- Ability to participate in and oversee policy advocacy and coalition work
- Excellent communication and writing skills in addressing various audiences
- Demonstrated legal research, writing, and oral advocacy experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with and supervising attorneys and law clerks
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently and as a part of a team
- Experience and ease working with clients and attorneys of color
- Supervision of law clerks – hiring, orienting, extensive written and oral feedback on a regular basis, tracking their assignments
- Ability to deal with our current chaotic and sometimes alarming political situation. EJS believes that working in coalitions is an effective way of transforming society. We believe that “an injury to one is an injury to all” and aim to be supportive of our partner organizations. The Legal Director must be comfortable responding to “pop up” issues.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary between $100,000 and $115,000. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental insurance, sabbatical, and sick time leave.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply before January 18, 2019. Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to email@example.com.
EJS embraces, affirms, and embodies diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally rich workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.