The California Task Force to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans meets this week, December 7-8, starting at 9:00 a.m. Pacific on each day. Lisa Holder, EJS Of Counsel, is a member of the task force as an appointee of Governor Gavin Newsom. Complete information on the task force can be found at https://oag.ca.gov/ab3121.
- Witness Panel #1: Infrastructure – Dec. 7, 10:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- 1. Expert Testimony: Dr. Joe Gibbons
- 2. Expert Testimony: Dr. Bruce Appleyard
- 3. Expert Testimony: Deborah Archer
- 4. Expert Testimony: Dr. Isaac Martin
- Witness Panel #2: Community of Reparations and Consideration of Economics Expert Darrick Hamilton Scope of Work; Review, Discussion and Possible Action Item – Dec. 7, 12:30 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.
- 1. Expert Testimony: Dr. Eric Miller
- 2. Expert Testimony, presentation, and consideration of Economics Expert Dr. Darrick Hamilton
- Witness Panel #3: Gentrification and Homelessness – Dec. 7, 1:50 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- 1. Expert Testimony: Brandon Greene
- 2. Expert Testimony: Pete White
- 3. Expert Testimony: Darrell Owens
- 4. Expert Testimony: Damien Goodmon
The formation of this task force was made possible by the Governor’s signing of AB 3121, authored by then-Assemblymember Shirley Weber (D-San Diego), which established a nine-member task force to inform Californians about slavery and explore ways the state might provide reparations. The members of the task force are:
- Senator Steven Bradford
- Dr. Amos C. Brown, Vice-Chair
- Dr. Cheryl Grills
- Lisa Holder
- Assemblymember Reginald Jones-Sawyer
- Dr. Jovan Scott Lewis
- Kamilah Moore, Chair
- Councilmember Monica Montgomery Steppe
- Donald K. Tamaki
Complete information on the task force can be found at https://oag.ca.gov/ab3121.