This incredibly insightful article from the Atlantic might explain why there are so many items for me to report week after week after week after week. It’s long but well worth your time.
One hundred thirty-nine years since Reconstruction, and half a century since the tail end of the civil-rights movement, a majority of white voters backed a candidate who explicitly pledged to use the power of the state against people of color and religious minorities, and stood by him as that pledge has been among the few to survive the first year of his presidency. Their support was enough to win the White House, and has solidified a return to a politics of white identity that has been one of the most destructive forces in American history. This all occurred before the eyes of a disbelieving press and political class, who plunged into fierce denial about how and why this had happened. That is the story of the 2016 election.
Silly me. I thought things would calm down over the Thanksgiving holiday. Nope.
- Hate crimes rose in 2016 – check out the chart.
- Trump calls Warren ‘Pocahontas’ at event honoring Native Americans.
- A new FBI report revives troubling views of African-American radicalism.
- com chooses ‘complicit’ as its word of the year.
- Anti-Muslim online surges driven by fake accounts.
- Viral Video shows white gun-store owner calling cops on Black customer after refusing to sell him firearms.
- Research finds racial disparities in prison sentences.
- New Jersey students disciplined after wearing confederate flag.
- Culling voter rolls: battling over who even gets to go to the polls.
- While eyes are on Russia, Sessions dramatically reshapes the Justice Department.
- Racism is a highly profitable online business.
- US Department of Education to limit civil rights investigations at schools.
- A conservative plan to weaponize the federal courts.
- From Louis Armstrong to the N.F.L.: ungrateful as the new uppity.
- Civil rights groups launch national effort to combat alarming voter purge campaign.
- DOJ hands-off approach to police frustrates some police departments.
- Watchdog says Homeland Security bottling up travel ban report.
- Why Donald Trump loves calling out Black people like LaVar Ball.
There’s more but frankly I do not want to bum you out even more than I have. There’s lots of work to do.
Send any items you find to: ThisWeekinWhiteSupremacy@equaljusticesociety.org