Thirty-nine national organizations, including the Equal Justice Society, and concerned citizens sent a letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein today urging him not to resign and to continue his service at the Department of Justice.
The letter called on Rosenstein to stay in his position and “continue to protect the Mueller and related investigations from any outside interference.”
According to the letter: “We strongly urge you not to resign, and should your resignation be demanded, to decline. Those who were fired in the Saturday Night Massacre were celebrated at the time as heroes, a judgment vindicated by history.”
Signers of the letter include a number of democracy and watchdog organizations, former Democratic and Republican White House ethics czars, two former Republican Governors and a former Republican Senator, Republican Women for Progress, a Founding Director of Republicans for the Rule of Law, a former Chairman of the American Conservative Union and of the House Republican Policy Committee, and a number of former Republican House members.
The letter stated:
You have done an enormous amount for the country in appointing Special Counsel Robert Mueller to conduct the Russia investigation, in protecting that investigation from outside interference, and in otherwise standing up for the finest traditions of the Department of Justice.
You have defended the Constitution and the rule of law in accomplishing all of this in the face of unwarranted and relentless attacks from various places.
The letter further stated:
The stakes for the country are paramount in continuing to ensure that the Mueller and related investigations are allowed to continue uninterrupted to their conclusion without any outside interference. If you leave, the American people have no guarantees that those investigations will remain independent and free from intervention or restrictions in the future.
The letter also said:
The American people are entitled to know the results of the Mueller investigation and the handling of any report from Special Counsel Mueller is currently to be determined by you.
It is essential for the good of the country that you stay at your post and continue to protect the Mueller and related investigations from any outside interference.
Find the full letter here. The letter was signed by:
- Democracy 21
- Ambassador Norman Eisen (Ret.), Chief White House ethics lawyer, 2009-2011
- Action Group Network
- American Oversight
- Arne H. Carlson, former Republican Governor of Minnesota
- Christie Whitman, former Republican Governor of New Jersey
- Claudine Schneider, former Republican Congresswoman from Rhode Island; Founding Member, Republicans for Integrity
- Coalition to Preserve, Protect and Defend
- Common Cause
- Dave Durenberger, former Republican Senator from Minnesota
- Defending Democracy
- Emil Frankel, former official, President George W. Bush Administration
- Equal Justice Society
- Evan McMullin, Stand Up Republic
- John LeBoutillier, former Republican Congressman from New York
- Justin Hendrix, March for Truth
- Kathleen Clark
- Laurence H. Tribe, University Professor, Professor of Constitutional Law, Harvard Law School
- Law Works
- Lawyers for Good Government
- Loyal Opposition
- Mickey Edwards, former Chairman, American Conservative Union; former Chairman, House Republican Policy Committee
- Niskanen Center
- People For the American Way
- Peter Smith, former Republican Congressman from Vermont
- Protect Democracy
- Protect the Investigation
- Public Citizen
- Revolving Door Project
- Republican Women for Progress
- Richard Painter, Chief White House ethics lawyer, 2005-2007
- Sarah Chayes
- Stand Up America
- Tom Petri, former Republican Congressman from Wisconsin
- Truman Center for National Policy and Truman National Security Project
- William Kristol, a Founding Director of Republicans for the Rule of Law