As a Black Man, I Understand Why Democrats Don’t Want to Impeach Trump
By Michael Harriot — [W]hen white Democrats claim they want one nation with liberty and justice for all, black people know that when it comes time for the party to make a hard choice, the Democratic Party will choose power. It will choose to delay justice. It will choose political expediency.
It will choose whiteness.
The reluctance of Democratic Party leaders to impeach Donald Trump is indicative of this incontrovertible truth. Nancy Pelosi and the mostly white party leadership is resisting the growing chorus of black voters calling for impeachment. And let’s be clear, it is a black chorus. A recent CNN national poll (pdf) shows that 59 percent of non-whites favor impeaching Trump while only 31 percent of whites do.
Part of the reason for this is that—despite most Americans disapproving of the job he is doing as president—most white people are not substantively affected by Trump. (more)
- I Understand Why Democrats Don’t Want to Impeach Trump http://bit.ly/2IJcY1q
- Rev. William Barber convicted of trespassing at legislature | Raleigh News & Observer http://bit.ly/2IDIo9z
- Senator Dick Durbin on Twitter: “As we celebrate the 75th Anniversary of D-Day, we can’t forget the MS St. Louis. 80 years ago today, the United States cruelly turned away more than 900 Jewish refugees aboard the MS St. Louis as they sought safety from Holocaust. We must always welcome refugees with open arms.” http://bit.ly/2IGUFdh
- Texas referee apologizes after racist language caught on tape: ‘I’m awfully embarrassed’ – Raw Story http://bit.ly/2IETlrw
- Nils Gilman on Twitter: “America would be an infinitely better place if all white Southerners had the same attitude towards the Confederacy that most contemporary Germans do towards Nazism: be happy your ancestors lost a terrible war on behalf of an awful cause.” http://bit.ly/2ICNV02
- Ferguson protesters dying: Six men with ties to Michael Brown protests have died since 2014 – CBS News https://cbsn.ws/2ICOgzQ
- With his career on the line, NYPD police officer accused of fatally choking Eric Garner declines to testify – CNN https://cnn.it/2IGVdQn
- Flora Fox on Twitter: “WHY ARE WE NOT IN THE STREETS WITH PITCHFORKS… ” ==> Boing Boing on Twitter: “Trump administration considering a plan to detain separated migrant children in a new concentration camp at Fort Benning, a busy military base in Georgia.” http://bit.ly/2ILvVAS
- Report: Florida GOP’s poll tax could cost billions for voters who’ve served their felony sentences http://bit.ly/2IGp3o6
- Joy Reid on Twitter: “Unbelievable that a grieving mom, already robbed of her baby boy, has to do this.… ” ==> MoveOn on Twitter: “Cleveland police are trying to put the cop who murdered Tamir Rice back on the force, but Tamir’s mother and people nationwide are fighting to stop the outrageous move.” http://bit.ly/2ILwACm
- Linda Sarsour on Twitter: “WHAT?! Where are the 230,000 children? What did we do with them?” ==> The Hill on Twitter: “Carla Provost, Chief, United States Border Patrol: ” We have apprehended over 230,000 children being brought in to the country illegally between the ports of entry this year already. That’s unprecedented numbers.” http://bit.ly/2IJyweB
- Valedictorian mic cut off: Rooha Haghar says her microphone was muted after she tried to list names of black victims of police brutality – CBS News https://cbsn.ws/2IzcJWA
- Deported veterans: ICE doesn’t know how many it has removed, GAO says – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/2IGVXF9
- Black 24/7 on Twitter: “Here Is Columbus Ohio Police Anthony Johnson Aka Officer AJ Provoking And Assaulting A Non Violent Black Man Who was having a Peaceful non threatening conversation with another officer. . #blacklivesmatter #ADOS #PoliceBrutality #PoliceViolence #policeterror #ohio #columbus…” http://bit.ly/2IEO0Ah
- Walter M. Kimbrough on Twitter: “Lots of good data from @elwoodrobinson “… although HBCUs make up 3% of universities in the country, we received just 0.4% of the over $1 million gifts donated in 2017.” http://bit.ly/2II4yr0
- Barbara Arnwine on Twitter: “God Bless the bravery of this young Black woman who saved this man’s life from these trigger happy police!! Tragic, cops had killed her boyfriend in 2015! Yes, heartbreaking!!” http://bit.ly/2IDJnqh
- Call immigrant detention centers what they really are: concentration camps – Los Angeles Times https://lat.ms/2IBkfQY
- In Defense of The Central Park 5 Prosecution | New York Law Journal http://bit.ly/2IEecLB
- Migrants in Custody at Hospitals Are Treated Like Felons, Doctors Say – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/2II4Jma
- The Root on Twitter: “Activists demand justice for Layleen Polanco, a black trans woman found dead in a Rikers Island jail cell:” http://bit.ly/2ILxlvc
- Dove on Twitter: “A Dove study confirms black women fear scrutiny and discrimination when expressing our natural beauty in the workplace. Dove co-founded the C.R.O.W.N. Coalition (Creating Respectful Open World for Natural hair) which champions legislation to end race-based hair discrimination” http://bit.ly/2IEeli7
- David Heath on Twitter: “Linda Fairstein is trapped in a dilemma. If the men known as #CentralPark5 are innocent, then the police may have coerced them to “confess.” She refuses to accept the latter, so she’s stuck insisting that these men are guilty of something.” http://bit.ly/2IEf4jl
- CNN on Twitter: “Black drivers are 91% more likely than whites to be pulled over by police, a report from the Missouri Attorney General has found” http://bit.ly/2IzecMA
- Trump Administration to Hold Migrant Children at Fort Still | Time http://bit.ly/2IEVgMK
- Barbara Arnwine on Twitter: “Everyone of these re-enslaving episodes are ugly and brutal! Many of us have had a lifetime of these #ShoppingMallSallys So angry and sad for her!” http://bit.ly/2IzeIdu
AND NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS
- Broadway Legend André De Shields Wins First Tony Award for Hadestown | Broadway Buzz | Broadway.com http://bit.ly/2IJbwfu
- Barbara Arnwine on Twitter: “A new law for a new era of heightened Racism! Intent is a very high and difficult but not insurmountable standard!… ” ==> NowThis on Twitter: “Oregon lawmakers have passed a bill to stop racist 911 calls… ” http://bit.ly/2IJbBji
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.