Washington Post: Trump’s words used by kids to bully classmates at school – Since Trump’s rise to the nation’s highest office, his inflammatory language — often condemned as racist and xenophobic — has seeped into schools across America. Many bullies now target other children differently than they used to, with kids as young as 6 mimicking the president’s insults and the cruel way he delivers them. https://wapo.st/31Pslys
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- Abby Ginzberg’s latest film, “Waging Change” is about the tipped minimum wage for restaurant workers (still $2.13/hr. in 17 states and barely more than that in dozens of others) – a legacy of slavery as the goal was to avoid paying newly freed slaves a wage and instead make them rely on tips. The film is premiering at the Castro on Sunday, March 22 at 1 pm. Get tickets here http://bit.ly/2wfi9Uo.
- Hindsight Improves the Picture for Obama-Era School Improvement Program – Inside School Research – Education Week / A decade after the Education Department launched its $7 billion school improvement grants and four years after Congress killed the program, the most comprehensive longitudinal study to date of the much-maligned program paints it in a potentially better light. http://bit.ly/37jRZg0
- Ida Bae Wells on Twitter: “I got a letter from an incarcerated man in California saying he and some others had started an African-American history study group and asking if I could send him copies of the #1619Project. I sent and have done so every time I’ve gotten such a request. I’d like to do more.” / Twitter http://bit.ly/2Hj6k1x
- Kristen Clarke on Twitter: “BREAKING: Victory! NC Judge will vacate the Sons of Confederate Veterans consent order over the Silent Sam Confederate statue and dismiss the lawsuit. This is a victory for students and faculty inside the UNC system and for all those who stand opposed to extremism. More to come.” / Twitter http://bit.ly/2tW4qkD
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- The Appeal on Twitter: “A Pennsylvania judge has been reassigned after he allegedly referred to a Black woman juror as “Aunt Jemima” with a heroin-selling “baby daddy.” According to the complaint, he was “not happy” about a not-guilty jury verdict in a recent drug trial. http://bit.ly/38w4bMg
- Ryan P. Haygood on Twitter: “”Hitler didn’t snub me; it was our president [FDR] who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send a telegram.” —Jesse Owens after winning 4 GOLD medals in 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Germany. FDR invited each white US olympian to the White House, but not Jesse. #BlackHistoryMonth http://bit.ly/37l7dS5
- Kristen Clarke on Twitter: “Says President who hasn’t nominated a single African American to the federal appeals court, just expanded the travel ban to 4 African nations, has abandoned the Voting Rights Act, turned its back on policing reform, failed to safeguard public education and fair housing, and more. http://bit.ly/2SrAqGO
- Robert Reich on Twitter: “Trump’s proposed cuts to food stamps would affect: – 400,000 people in Texas – 328,000 in Florida – 225,000 in Pennsylvania – 176,000 in Washington State – 165,000 in Michigan – 118,000 in Wisconsin – 97,000 in Georgia Pass it on.” / Twitter http://bit.ly/2vrt5hp
- Trump Blowing Up Arizona National Monument for Border Wall. The blasting is happening on the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, a tract of Sonoran Desert wilderness long celebrated as one of the nation’s great ecological treasures, that holds profound spiritual significance to multiple Native American groups. http://bit.ly/31YNB5a
- Trump Grants Student Scholarship She doesn’t Need http://bit.ly/2vymthi
- Muslims Placed on No-Fly List by FBI Agents to Coerce Them to Spy on Their Communities Ask Supreme Court to Allow Lawsuit to Go Forward | Center for Constitutional Rights http://bit.ly/38rcqcn
- Eddie Glaude comments on Trump statement against white supremacy / MSNBC on Twitter: “https://t.co/G7reHo4Cpy” / Twitter http://bit.ly/2vqSSWR
- Opinion | ‘Parasite’ Won, but Asian-Americans Are Still Losing – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/31VGxpY
- MDOC reports 16th inmate death in Mississippi prison http://bit.ly/38qAdZU
- Opinion | We Once Fought Jihadists. Now We Battle White Supremacists. – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/2Hnp8g8
- Eliza Orlins on Twitter: “This is a high school student in Camden, AR, who was held in a chokehold by a uniformed police officer to the point where his feet left the ground. His offense? He was arguing with another student. This is unacceptable. Spread the word. http://bit.ly/31ROgFf
- S. Lee Merritt, Esq. on Twitter: ““Chief why did you ignore the request of the family to NOT tamper with the car and instead your officers cleaned the seats off with bleach?!” http://bit.ly/2HhK0FM
- Vell. on Twitter: “A prisoner is in solitary confinement, accused of inciting a riot, after he and two other inmates wrote a letter complaining about CONDITIONS at Chippewa Correctional Facility, in the Upper Peninsula. #parchmanprison #ADOS https://t.co/Qfkvt3Q4bn” / Twitter http://bit.ly/2SnJMTG
- Traveling teen mistakenly taken down by local police. ACLU has filed a lawsuit | Local | qconline.com http://bit.ly/2SpmDQU
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.