The Coronavirus Was an Emergency Until Trump Found Out Who Was Dying
The pandemic has exposed the bitter terms of our racial contract, which deems certain lives of greater value than others.
Adam Serwer, The Atlantic – The coronavirus epidemic has rendered the racial contract visible in multiple ways. Once the disproportionate impact of the epidemic was revealed to the American political and financial elite, many began to regard the rising death toll less as a national emergency than as an inconvenience.
Temporary measures meant to prevent the spread of the disease by restricting movement, mandating the wearing of masks, or barring large social gatherings have become the foulest tyranny. The lives of workers at the front lines of the pandemic—such as meatpackers, transportation workers, and grocery clerks—have been deemed so worthless that legislators want to immunize their employers from liability even as they force them to work under unsafe conditions.
In East New York, police assault black residents for violating social-distancing rules; in Lower Manhattan, they dole out masks and smiles to white pedestrians.
… the pandemic has introduced a new clause to the racial contract. The lives of disproportionately black and brown workers are being sacrificed to fuel the engine of a faltering economy, by a president who disdains them. This is the COVID contract.
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- It’s time to get serious about sanctioning global white supremacist groups – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/2Z6R16i
- Layla Saad’s Best-Selling Book Challenges Readers To Dismantle White Supremacy https://bit.ly/2Z3m9DR
- Justice Department Must Investigate Ahmaud Arbery’s Murder – The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights https://bit.ly/2yXfnVw
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- The Coronavirus Was an Emergency Until Trump Found Out Who Was Dying: The pandemic has exposed the bitter terms of our racial contract, which deems certain lives of greater value than others. – The Atlantic https://bit.ly/2T3gUQv
- Attorneys claim LMPD officers killed 26-year-old EMT in ‘botched’ police raid | wdrb.com https://bit.ly/3dMVHTa
- Off-Duty Cop Among Mob That Forced Into North Carolina Home https://bit.ly/3dMVZcI
- Antisemitic Incidents Hit All-Time High in 2019 | Anti-Defamation League https://bit.ly/3dMVX4A
- Trump Demands ‘These Votes Must Not Count’ After Polling Place Opens in Black Community in Lancaster, Calif. https://bit.ly/3dIC4eT
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.