By LaNae Norwood on Blavity News – Now is the time for voters to not only accept the ugly truth of America’s past, but to also take action to dismantle racism. There are systemic barriers holding us back as a nation, including states that continue to enforce bans on Affirmative Action. These bans further perpetuate systemic racism and formalize discrimination against women, Black, Latino and Asian people, all of whom have endured injustice in this country for far too long.
Nine states currently ban Affirmative Action although it’s a legislative solution that helps everybody. California has a chance to level the playing field for women and Black, Indigenous and people of color by passing Proposition 16 on the ballot this election year. If passed, Proposition 16 would end California’s ban on Affirmative Action and enable equal opportunity for all.
As a Black mother myself, I feel it is essential to support the rising generation by helping to put Affirmative Action back on the table in my state of California. Discrimination and anti-Black racism are on broad display in our everyday lives, but especially in the workplace and in our children’s schools. (read more)
Help us get Prop. 16 across the finish line! Visit https://voteyesonprop16.org/actions to participate in our GOTV efforts!
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- Va. flags to be half-staff Friday in memory of late Bernard Cohen, lawyer in Loving v. Virginia case | WAVY.com https://bit.ly/35ILAMM
- Houston teen creates mobile COVID-19 testing lab | khou.com https://bit.ly/35KQZmq
- Sacramento city council takes a step to alter police budgets | The Sacramento Bee https://bit.ly/31VRJ75
- California Governor Gavin Newson submitted an amicus brief in California v. McDaniel to focus the Court’s attention on the historical and present day relationship between racism and California’s capital punishment system as it pertains to the “inviolate” right to trial by jury. The Newsom brief also supports Mr. McDaniel’s position that unanimity and proof beyond a reasonable doubt are fundamentally intertwined elements of the state’s jury right incorporated by section 1042 of the Penal Code and article I, section 16 of the California Constitution. https://bit.ly/37RLxAT
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- A Black man found hanged in a Sacramento park, ruled suicide | The Sacramento Bee https://bit.ly/2JkoEMc
- White supremacist group talked about paramilitary training in secret vetting calls – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News https://bit.ly/2JkOT59
- Redlining robs Black families of generational wealth – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/3mxuGr6
- Exclusive: Trump Interior Hire Cited White Supremacist, Called Black Lives Matter ‘Racist’ | HuffPost https://bit.ly/31X0td5
- Inside the Refugee Camp on America’s Doorstep – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/3oDiIy3
- The White Issue: Has Anna Wintour’s Diversity Push Come Too Late? – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/35MGcId
- Michigan police chiefs’ leader: Open carry ban at polls not based in law https://bit.ly/3mAK31Q
- Opinion | Let’s not mince words. The Trump administration kidnapped children. – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/37WEM0yThe White Extremist Group Patriot Front Is Preparing For A World After Donald Trump https://bit.ly/37S8t2Q
- American Jewish Committee on Twitter: “BREAKING: We’ve just released our groundbreaking #AntisemitismReport, revealing sharp and troubling differences between American Jews and the U.S. general public on antisemitism in America. For full results and analysis, go to: https://t.co/QWStmlh1B5” / Twitter https://bit.ly/31QZCus
- Grand Jurors In Breonna Taylor Case Call Police Actions ‘Negligent’ And ‘Criminal’ https://yhoo.it/3mDueaX
- Brett Kavanaugh’s defense of voter suppression is riddled with errors. https://bit.ly/35JeHiZ
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.