- ICE targets Cambodian community. Advancing Justice files class action lawsuit .
- Paul Manafort helped implement the notorious GOP southern strategy in 1980 by arranging for candidate Ronald Reagan to speak at Mississippi’s Neshoba County Fair, which is seven miles from where civil rights workers Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney were murdered by white supremacists in 1964.
- In late October, according to the NY Times, a “Black criminal defendant in Louisiana was denied his constitutional right to an attorney because the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled six to one that he hadn’t really requested a lawyer when he told police during questioning: ‘I know I didn’t do it. So why don’t you just give me a lawyer, dawg, ‘cause this is not what’s up.’ The willfully ignorant justices ruled that the defendant had asked for a ‘lawyer dog,” not a lawyer, so he had not invoked his right to counsel.” This sounds like a comedy sketch from Dave Chappelle and not reality.
- Private prison CEO ‘very pleased’ by ‘improved occupancy rates’ at immigration detention centers.
- Black student poisoned by her roommate at University of Hartford.
- Media help shape our view of reality. Few people of color write for TV shows.
- A producer wanted to cast the movie “Crazy Rich Asians” with a white lead.
- New York City cafe accused of turning away black kids on Halloween.
- Puerto Rico still mostly without electricity.
- Trump administration to drop protections for Central Americans and Haitians.
- In Georgia’s Senate District 6, 84% of voters who can vote until 8 PM are white. 49% of those who can only vote until 7 PM are people of color. Norman Ornstein reminds us that Chief Justice Roberts in the Shelby County case said that racial discrimination in voting was a thing of the past.
- 48% of preschoolers receiving out of school suspensions were African-Americans according to the Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Education. The Center for American Progress just released this data.
- Re: Devin Kelley, the white man who shot and murdered at least 26 people in Texas, Jemisha Johnson tweeted:
“If the Texas shooter is
Muslim: More travel restrictions
Black: More Blacks in prisons
Mexican: Build the wall
White: Protect the 2nd Amendment
GOOD NEWS, VICTORIES & HEROES
- Northern California’s largest three fires are now fully contained.
- Chris Bradley struck up a conversation with firefighter Brian Borba while waiting in line for coffee, it was then that he learned that Brian was the first responder responsible for saving his family’s lives from the fires.
- A federal judge has blocked tRUMP’s transgender military ban.
- 6-year-old Archie, 14-year-old Jim, and 9-year-old Eadie are some of the young activists using their voices to encourage their fellow Australians to vote yes on marriage equality.
- Climate change denier (and NOT a scientist) Sam Clovis has withdrawn from consideration to be the Department of Agriculture’s chief scientist.
- Joy-Ann Reid uses facts to dismantle false rumors around Hillary Clinton’s so-called controversial uranium deal.
- President Obama posted an ACA enrollment video on Twitter to remind Americans to sign up for health insurance (go to HealthCare.gov to find your plan!).
- Despite this administration’s disregard for affordable health care, California is leading the fight to get millions of Americans insured.
- Over one million people have signed a petition calling for tRUMP’s impeachment.
- tRUMP’s approval rating is at 38 percent – the rating is “lower than any other president has seen at a similar point in their first term in the modern era.”
- A rogue Twitter employee deleted tRUMP’s account for 11 glorious minutes.
- Instead of sharing their measurements, contestants for Miss Peru used their time at the microphone to deliver startling statistics about women and girls in the country.
- These girls dressed up as Congresswoman Maxine Waters for Halloween. #ReclaimTheirCandy
- The Ontario legislature has made it illegal to protest outside abortion clinics.
- Senator Kamala Harris “became the first Senate Democrat to publicly vow to oppose any government funding bill unless Congress takes action to protect the 700,000 DREAMers.”
- Congresswoman Frederica Wilson returned to the Capital this week after receiving death threats following her feud with tRUMP.
- Since the election, more than 20,000 women have signed up with Emily’s List to run for office.
- Harbor commissioners for Los Angeles and Long Beach voted to adopt a $14 billion clean air policy plan to reduce air pollution around the cities’ busiest ports.
- Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster has become the city’s unofficial bike advocate.
- The “EPA is charging ExxonMobil $2.5 million for polluting Gulf Coast communities for decades” — although advocates say that the settlement is not nearly enough for the years of damage the company has inflicted on these communities.
- Scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute have been focusing on creating methods that could freeze ocean coral sperm which could then be used to revive diminishing coral populations.
- Along with Stockton, CA, Finland is also testing out basic income by giving unemployed citizens $660 a month during a two-year-long trial period.
- Chefs are using their skills, resources, and networks to feed people in the wake of disasters.
- These Marines are leaving the NRA to advocate for safe gun policies.
- Did you know that hundreds of universities have made over 500 (mostly free) courses available online!? Find the list here.
CALLS TO ACTION
Northern California Wildfires
Updated Volunteer and Donation Information:
Visit the homepage of Sonoma County Recovery for the latest community updates, volunteer opportunities, and donation requests.
Sonoma County Resilience Fund
Napa Valley Community Disaster Relief Fund
Disaster Fund for Mendocino County
United Way of the Wine Country
Redwood Credit Union Community Fund
Latino Community Foundation Northern California Wildfires Relief Fund
Go Fund A Hero
From a friend in the wine country: “So many businesses rely on tourism in Sonoma County – please encourage everyone to come – eat at our wonderful restaurants – stay at our hotels – drink and buy some awesome wine (maybe even stock up for the holidays!).”
Send any items you find to: ThisWeekinWhiteSupremacy@equaljusticesociety.org