- President Barack Obama tried to expand the way racial discrimination is measured and addressed, holding corporations and governments accountable for even unintended bias in a bid to reverse persistent racial inequality. Now the Trump administration is rolling those efforts back. Politico
- Amazon employees are outraged by their company’s opposition to a plan to add more diversity to its board. Recode
- Nordstrom apologizes after three black men were wrongly accused of theft. Twitter
- A day of joy and celebration spurred complaints of racism after a college graduation marshal pushed and propelled several Black students off the commencement ceremony’s stage. HuffPost
- African-Americans are among the top owners of mobile devices, but aren’t being considered when it’s time for social media and technology companies to hire. AP
- Tweet by Jamilah Lemieux. @JamilahLemieux
- Native American men were pulled away from a campus tour after a parent on the tour called campus police saying she was nervous about their presence. The Hill
- Three Black teens are finalists in a NASA competition. Hackers spewing racism tried to ruin their odds. Washington Post
- Cops swarm Black women renting an AirBnB after neighbor thinks they’re burglars. Raw Story
- White evangelical Christian hypocrisy: Franklin Graham, who questioned President Obama‘s Christianity and said his agenda was “against Christ and against His teachings,” said that the whole Stormy Daniels scandal was “nobody’s business.” Friendly Atheist
- The South Carolina man paid an undercover agent to hang his neighbor from a tree with a burning cross on the lawn, according to court papers. New York Times
- Trump tells 57,000 Hondurans who’ve lived in the US for 20 years to get out. Vox
- ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship. LA Times
- Trump was met with silence at a campaign-style rally when he asked if there were any Hispanics present, then repeated his demand for a border wall. HuffPost
- On a Long Island Rail Road train, a white man was caught on video unleashing a racist rant on two Black women. Blavity
- Michigan’s discriminatory work requirements. New York Times
- The men and women President Trump has elevated to federal judgeships across the nation are having an impact on issues ranging from civil rights and campaign spending to public prayer and the death penalty. USA Today
- William Barber takes on poverty and race in the age of Trump. The New Yorker
- The new lynching memorial confronts the racial terrorism that corrupted America—and still does. Slate
- A Miami police officer has been suspended after kicking a Black suspect in the head while he was pinned face-down on the ground by another officer. Sputnik
AND NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS
From Susie Tompkins Buell:
- Kelly’s time is up as women of color and the Time’s Up organization join forces to hold the sexual predator accountable for his actions once and for all. New York Times
- A Pennsylvania golf course that discriminated against a group of black women is losing business. Washington Post
- The two black men arrested for sitting at a Philadelphia Starbucks arranged a deal with city officials to set up a $200,000 program for young entrepreneurs. SFGate
- Hillary Clinton is asking the Federal Election Commission to approve a request from a first-time female candidate to allow the use of campaign funds to pay for child care. Newsweek
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of malicious wounding for his role in attacking a black man during the Charlottesville protests. BuzzFeed
- The new Ruth Bader Ginsburg documentary, RBG, is now showing in theaters!
Read the full list and more from Susie Tompkins Buell’s The Rising, here.
Please consider making a monthly gift in support of our efforts. Your donation of $18 a month for 18 months will help us to continue to shine a light on racism and bias. We greatly appreciate your support and welcome donations at all levels!
Never miss a week! Click here to subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to: ThisWeekinWhiteSupremacy@equaljusticesociety.org