The Guardian — For nearly 120 days, protesters in Louisville, Kentucky, have shouted “no justice, no peace!” as they called for charges against three police officers involved in the killing of Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman who was shot in her apartment in March as police executed a search warrant.
In the minutes following the announcement that only one officer would be indicted – for wanton endangerment for firing into an apartment next door to Taylor’s – a quiet, stunned sadness and simmering anger overtook Louisville’s Jefferson Square Park, the epicenter of protests which has been dubbed Injustice Square Park.
Monique Lathon, a 33-year-old Black woman, said she was feeling “mostly sadness more than anger” as tears streamed down her face after the announcement. “Just sorry to Bre that we weren’t able to get her justice.” (read more)
Our allies at the African American Policy Forum wrote: “While predictable and shameful, perhaps the most insulting dimension of today’s decision is that after 194 days of demands to Say Her Name, the two-page indictment against Brett Hankison for wanton endangerment does not mention Breonna’s name at all.”
Trump Just Signed an Executive Order Claiming That Anti-Racism Is the Real Racism
Vice.com — An executive order signed Tuesday by President Donald Trump essentially bans the military and federal contractors from conducting diversity training. The executive order, which Trump said was meant to “to combat offensive and anti-American race and sex stereotyping and scapegoating,” bars contractors from conducting training that “teaches, advocates, or promotes divisive concepts” such as unconscious bias and systemic racism.
The order tells a revisionist history of the United States. For example, the order states that “Our Founding documents rejected these racialized views of America, which were soundly defeated on the blood-stained battlefields of the Civil War.” The Constitution included the Three-Fifths Compromise, which marked the legal worth of enslaved Black people as three-fifths of a white person. This definition stood for decades until it was officially killed off by the Reconstruction Amendments, which outlawed slavery and established, at least in theory, legal rights and protections for formerly enslaved people.
The executive order claims that anti-racism and anti-sexism efforts are, in fact, the real examples of racism and sexism. (read more)
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- Father/daughter Ron, Jasmine Cephas Jones both win Emmys | EW.com https://bit.ly/36i1vnd
- Remember #BreyonnaTaylor on Twitter: “That shirt tho …someone answer please!!! (“where was all lives matter from 1619-1968?”) #BreonnaTaylor https://bit.ly/3kJZd3T
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- Trump Just Signed an Executive Order Claiming That Anti-Racism Is the Real Racism https://bit.ly/2HvGPO7
- Brett Pransky on Twitter: “Donald Trump has appointed 53 appeals court judges in his first term. Not one is black.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/3mRjrdR
- brittany packnett cunningham does not do remixes. on Twitter: “Make sure you don’t miss what’s happening here: Jonathan Mattingly, who fired his gun the night he raided #BreonnaTaylor’s home is not only NOT SORRY or regretful-but he is OFFENDED at the mere *thought* that he might be held accountable for killing a woman in cold blood.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/363KbCb
- Grinnell College cancels classes after DCI IDs Black man’s body found in burning ditch https://bit.ly/303JHIc
- Hamza Shaban on Twitter: “Chris Wallace, a Fox News anchor who will moderate the first presidential debate, has chosen “Race and Violence in our Cities” as one of the topics. Not racism or police brutality, but “Race and Violence in our Cities”” / Twitter https://bit.ly/33Q0RtW
- Dijon Kizzee was shot 15 times, lawyers say autopsy shows – Los Angeles Times https://lat.ms/34ceggr
- Breonna Taylor protests live updates: Taylor’s mother: ’the system failed Breonna’ – The Washington Post https://wapo.st/3kJdlKT
- Racism has cost the U.S. $16 trillion, Citigroup finds – CBS News https://cbsn.ws/2FX4W7U
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.