NOTE: “This Week in White Supremacy” will be on hiatus for the rest of the month and will return in December. Thanks for reading!
Ibram X. Kendi on Twitter: “Media outlets show their callousness and insensitivity every time they refer to domestic terrorists as militia groups. White supremacists are the greatest domestic terrorist threat of our time; they’re terrorizing folks all over and still outlets are calling them militia groups.” https://bit.ly/3oV459k
Arwa Mahdawi in The Guardian: A study conducted by Georgia State University last year found that terror attacks carried out by Muslims receive on average 357% more media coverage than those committed by other groups. While this is clearly racist, it’s also dangerous. White supremacists, plenty of evidence shows, are the deadliest domestic threat facing the US. By downplaying the threat of white nationalist terrorism, by finding politer ways to refer to it, the media have allowed it to proliferate. So please, let’s call things by their name. Enough with the “militias”, these people are terrorists. (read more)
THE GOOD NEWS FIRST:
- CNN on Twitter: “The Supreme Court rules in favor of Black Lives Matter organizer DeRay McKesson, wiping away a lower court opinion related to protests. https://t.co/5LT7PW9UtH” / Twitter https://bit.ly/2JHEkcz
- Rev. James Woodall on Twitter: “The voters in Brunswick, Georgia have spoken. The DA who mishandled the Ahmaud Arbery case has been defeated!!! We will continue to fight! #IRunWithMaud #WeAreDoneDying #GaPol” / Twitter https://bit.ly/3oZTlGM
AND NOW THE NEWS RELATED TO WHITE SUPREMACY:
- More Than 40 Immigrants Have Died In ICE Custody In The Past Four Years. Here Are Thousands Of Records About What Happened. https://bit.ly/3p1nPbv
- U.S. Expels Migrant Children From Other Countries to Mexico – The New York Times https://nyti.ms/38tda3F
- Portland protesters describe being swept up at night by federal agents during Trump’s operation – Washington Post https://wapo.st/32jthg1
- Tamir Rice Investigation Frozen By Trump’s Justice Department https://bit.ly/3p3N7Wz
- Duchess of Wakanda @HRComedy on Twitter: “Escorted in by police I’m sure. America, where white people let white people do whatever they want. https://t.co/5kRrg76Gl3” / Twitter https://bit.ly/38gDcGY
- Kimberly Atkins on Twitter: “Per the last census, Detroit has the largest Black population by percentage of any major US city. Now look at who is trying to stop the count.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/38k7ecX
- Phillip Atiba Goff is from Philadelphia on Twitter: “Huh. Wonder what the difference is between these protesters in NYC and the ones literally trying to subvert democracy in Michigan who saw no police presence at all. Can’t put my finger on it.” / Twitter https://bit.ly/38m6zbb
Never miss a week! Subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to TWIWS@equaljusticesociety.com.