Be wise with your energy.
Everything doesn’t require your response.
And injustice requires our attention, but we should be intentional and intelligent about that.
Good can be strategic.
I love you.
- These are the names of the Black people whom police have shot and killed since 2016. ACLU
- The founder of the Papa John’s pizza chain has stepped down as chairman of the board after he apologized for using a racial slur about African-Americans during a conference call in May. NPR
- Muslim girls kicked out of public pool after officials said hijabs would clog filtration system. Washington Post
- Study finds that Black women graduate with the most student loan debt. Essence
- A new survey from The Atlantic and the Public Religion Research Institute shows that Black and Hispanic citizens are more likely than whites to face barriers at the polls—and to fear the future erosion of their basic political rights. The Atlantic
- Miami Police stop serious terrorist attack planned specifically against Jews by an American Neo-Nazi. Miami Herald
- VIDEO: Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin can’t believe Black kids play chess. NowThis
- 38-yr-old white “man” beats a Black 8th grader over a children’s soccer game. The “man” is Jordan Lee Grinnell, a Navy active duty E7. Indivisible Network
- Cleaning toilets, following rules: a migrant child’s days in detention. New York Times
- Police in suburban St. Louis are conducting an internal review after ten Black college students were wrongly accused of dining and dashing at IHOP on a $62 tab. People
- Violence against the transgender community in 2018 – the most ever recorded. HRC
- A Black vegan MBA and an Asian lawyer spend $220 on groceries at Raley’s and get harassed by the police for shoplifting. Medium
- Detaining immigrant kids is now a billion-dollar industry. TIME
- Black woman says CVS manager called police because she had wrong coupon. Chicago Sun Times
- BOOK REVIEW: Sarah Churchwell’s Behold, America is a timely survey that traces the political roots of the current ‘America First’ movement back to the early 20th century. The Guardian
- Maternal and infant mortality in American Indian and Alaska Native communities. Center for American Progress
- Miami grandma targeted as U.S. takes aim at naturalized immigrants with prior offenses. Miami Herald
- ICE officers to asylum seekers: ‘Don’t you know that we hate you people?’ Rolling Stone
- Sexual assault inside ICE detention: 2 survivors tell their stories. New York Times
- VIDEO: Woman reportedly harassing a Black couple for blocks as they walked down the street in Berkeley, CA. Atlanta Black Star
- Black farmers say they were deliberately sold defective soybean seeds because of their race. Washington Post
- Houston fails to give family of deceased firefighter their benefits, claiming her fatal cancer was partly caused by her race. Blavity
- Troubling lack of Senate Democratic staff diversity persists, particularly in senior and mid-level positions. Joint Center
- POLL: Nearly half of Blacks treated unfairly ‘in last 30 days.’ Gallup
- Mexican national commits suicide while in ICE custody in Georgia. Think Progress
- Biscayne Park, FL police told to frame Black people, probe found. Miami Herald
- Uber’s head of HR resigns following racial discrimination probe. NBC News
- Candace McCowan on Twitter: “I greet many people with a ‘good morning’ everyday. Today at Rockaway Beach I got called the n-word in return. This is America.” @CandaceMcCowan7
- CHP to investigate slur-filled road-rage video captured by East Bay couple. East Bay Times
- VIDEO: In America today, for every $100 of white family wealth, black families only have about $5.04. It’s a direct result of centuries of racist banking policies and practices that systematically kept black Americans from prospering. Splinter
AND NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS
Never miss a week! Click here to subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to: ThisWeekinWhiteSupremacy@equaljusticesociety.org