“The quote motivating me: ‘Either America will destroy ignorance or ignorance will destroy the United States.’-W.E.B. Du Bois. I am dedicating myself to destroying ignorance.” –Maya Wiley
- On the 28th anniversary of the ADA’s passage, disability rights are increasingly in peril. Rewire
- The Justice Department has instructed US attorneys offices not to use the term “undocumented” immigrants and instead refer to someone illegally in the US as “an illegal alien.” CNN
- BART slaying ignites fear among black people — ‘It just feels like they’re coming for us’. San Francisco Chronicle
- News station apologizes after failed attempt to criminalize Nia Wilson. Blavity
- The summer of Coupon Carl, Permit Patty, and the videos that turn white privilege into mockable memes. The New Yorker
- It used to matter when a politician yelled ‘n-gger’ – overt bigotry seems more common now, and Americans are getting used to it. Rolling Stone
- Southern nationalist group creates Russian language website page to foster relationship between the ‘two natural allies’. Newsweek
- Minority homebuyers are systematically steered to neighborhoods with higher concentrations of toxic contamination and pollution than their white counterparts. ThinkProgress
- ICE deports Florida mom for paying traffic ticket. Miami New Times
- Trump and Russia used race to divide America. Now it’s a national security problem. USA Today
- Indictment targets Idaho white supremacy gangs. Southern Poverty Law Center
- More evidence emerges that Trump intended for family separation to be permanent. Slate
- The Anti-Defamation League issues its first-ever report tying misogyny to white supremacy. Cosmopolitan
- Over 460 migrants separated from their children have potentially been deported by U.S. NBC News
- GOP congressman calls Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‘this girl … or whatever she is’. HuffPost
- ‘Titans’ star Anna Diop disables Instagram comments after racist fan reaction. Ebony
- Now is a good time to kick people off food stamps, according to the Trump administration, because poor people have it pretty good and the economy is doing really well. HuffPost
- Voter purge frenzy after federal protections lifted. NBC News
- ICE agents arrested a mother and son after they appeared in court over domestic violence dispute. Newsweek
- Advancing Justice-LA on Twitter: “Asian Americans Advancing Justice is appalled at the @WashingtonPost’s decision to publish an op-ed advocating for an end to birthright citizenship.” @AAAJ_LA
- Michigan State is bringing back a linebacker who left the team after reportedly calling a teammate the N-word. SB Nation
- “Georgia cops tackled 10-year-old black kid for trying to talk to his dad, who was in the police car. Cops twisted the child’s arms behind his back and dangled handcuffs in front of him, as he’s heard saying ‘I’m sorry.’” @Matsamon
- In a small Alabama town, an evangelical congregation reckons with God, President Trump and the meaning of morality. “Sheila never believed [slavery] was as bad as people said it was. ’Slaves were valued,’ she said. ‘They got housing. They got fed. They got medical care.'” Washington Post
AND NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS
Every April 10 will officially be Dolores Huerta Day in California.
Counties cancel ICE detention contracts.
Woman seeking asylum finally has her 11-year-old son back after 58 days apart.
Claudine Gay has been named Dean of Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Anonymous donors are dismantling Confederate statues.
Reeling from the news? Train your brain to feel better with these 4 techniques.
Never miss a week! Click here to subscribe to TWIWS.
Send any items you find to: ThisWeekinWhiteSupremacy@equaljusticesociety.org